Friday, October 15, 2010

My Journey to the Federal House of Representatives Udi-Ezeagu Federal Constituency

My Journey to the Federal House of Representatives

Udi-Ezeagu Federal Constituency

EZEJIOFO SUNNY UDEH, PH.D., MBA

espudeh@gmail.com

Egede, Nigeria

Saturday, October 2, 2010

In unveiling my pledge, I reiterated the hardship and suffering evident in the faces of our people, the gaping absence of basic infrastructures, and the need for quality representation, which made me to decide to offer myself to the public service of our people. In doing so, my pledge is to represent the people of Udi-Ezeagu Federal Constituency for free cost in the first year. This means that the approximately 225 Million will be available for the people of Udi-Ezeagu to use as they deem fit. I asked them to please go home to the various communities with good news of 225 million Naira and start forming committees on how to spend the money.

I arrived at MMA in Nigeria on the 4th September 2010 and headed East immediately to the heat of campaign for the primary. Many advised that I should rethink my quest since other candidates have gone far in the game. This is because they have spent so much money dining, wining and hosting party officials without telling them what they intend to do at the National Assembly.

On the second night I invited my core supporters, those I know would swim and sink with me. To my surprise, some came dejected. Some even suggested I opt for the State House of Assembly. After listening to their concerns and suggestions, I went straight to the point of laying my programs, proposals and strategies for success.

I started by reminding them I did not return to do what others have been doing. I told them that my campaign is going to be different and unconventional backed by a political movement Kolanut Coalition. I explained to them the problems of corruption in Nigeria and how everybody including those at the lower rung of the society are instrumental in perpetuating corruption by inadvertently inducing politicians to remain corrupt.

I paraphrased for them Psalm 137 as below

"How can we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

If I forget thee, O’ Udi-Ezeagu, let my right hand forget her cunning.

If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth

I reminded them that I have paid my dues in the USA for the past 25 years with accumulated wealth of academic and government experience, and it is time to sing the Lord’s song in our own land of Udi-Ezeagu and in our country Nigeria.

In unveiling my pledge, I reiterated the hardship and suffering evident in the faces of our people, the gaping absence of basic infrastructures, and the need for quality representation, which made me to decide to offer myself to the public service of our people. In doing so, my pledge is to represent the people of Udi-Ezeagu Federal Constituency for free in the first year. This means that the approximately 225 Million will be available for the people of Udi-Ezeagu to use as they deem fit. I asked them to please go home to the various communities with good news of 225 million Naira and start forming committees on how to spend the money.

Being that these people are my core supporters and some of them are my relatives, they did not quite fancy the idea of giving up 225 million. I could sense the ambivalence. They figure that I am giving up too much which could even negatively affect their anticipated benefits for working for my campaign. There were hesitation and even mild protests but I stuck to my guns.

Perhaps by providing a sneak preview of my winning strategy, most of them settled down to the new dimension in the race for the Federal House of Representative, Udi-Ezeagu Federal Constituency. The message is simple---we have to change how we elect those who represent us. We have to ask what the candidates would do and how they plan to do it. We have to review programs and proposals and focus on the qualifications, skills and experience of the candidates. Decision must not be trivialized based on the peanuts given out and collected. I am emboldened by the fact that the message is getting traction.

Apart from the usual colorful posters adorning strategic locations of Udi-Ezeagu, and thousands of handbills, my campaign produced the best and comprehensive 16-page brochure detailing my pledge to Udi-Ezeagu people and Nigeria which includes but not limited to the ten bills I plan to introduce to the National Assembly in my first year. Details can be found on my site at www.sunnyudeh.info

Thus far, we have had declaration rally at my Egede-Umuoka ward held at the Udeh Family Compound in Egede on September 21st. In attendance were party faithful cum supporters who are excited that one of their own stepped out to contest. I stood proudly atop the grounds of my ancestors as I addressed the crowd for about 45 minutes in my impeccable Egede. There were numerous speeches of support, plenty to drink and eat and everybody had a ball.

On September 23rd 2010, we organized another large declaration rally at Filbon Hotel for the returnees popularly known as the Enugu Diaspora Organization. The evening was gracefully moderated by the Senior Special Adviser on Diaspora Matters, Dr. Jude Akubuilo. In attendance are most of the political appointees of Gov. Chime led by the Honorable Commissioner for Transport Chief John Egbo, CEO Rangers, Ozo Paul Chibuzo, Special Assistant Hon. Johnbull Nwagu, Special Adviser Hon. Oliver Chime, Senatorial Candidate for Enugu East, Dr. Sam Ngwu, Hon. Charles Parker, Hon. Emeka Onyia, Hon Aniekwe, Hon Gisto Nma, Hon Joe Offor, Hon. Chief Hon. Emma Obi (Obata), etc, and fellow contestants and candidate for Federal House of Rep, Udi-Ezeagu, Ozo Ethelbert Odo, Hon. Chinedu Ani, and Nwatagburuagu Hon Humphrey Azike. There were numerous party officials and executives both at state and local levels.

The thrust of my speech was my pledge to serve for free as I explained some of the bills I plan to introduce in the first year. My speech was preceded by the most eloquent and powerful introduction I have ever heard from Hon. Commissioner of Transport and Enugu Capital Development, Chief John Egbo. We owe a debt of gratitude to him and Dr. Akubuilo for his magnanimous moderation. Full text of the speeches will be posted later.

The activities of the evening were capped by a large contingent of Ezeagu youths who made the night memorable with songs of praises and dances. It was a night of speeches about my accomplishments; a night of sober reflections on the way forward for Enugu State and the roles and responsibilities of Diaspora in shaping the future of Nigeria.

Following the indefinite postponement of the PDP primaries and congresses, the campaign tempo has veered to consultations and small meetings with delegates. The money influence is very evident as expectation is that each candidate should break bank to show some seriousness. While others are yielding to the status quo, my campaign has moved to direct message to the people through series of political and non-political radio announcements. We plan to sponsor television and radio programs which would provide opportunity to get our message out. We plan to be on radio link and "Ka Oha Malu" both are 60 minutes infomercial broadcast in English and Igbo respectively. We are exploring avenues for lectures and presentations on each of the proposed bill in my first year in office. Most importantly, we are talking to other candidates to organize candidates’ forum where each candidate will have opportunity to tell the people what he or she intends to do for the people of Udi-Ezeagu at the National Assembly.

Finally, it is exciting so far and we hope it remains the same with the hope that the contest for Udi-Ezeagu Federal Constituency will become a model for the rest of Nigeria. On a special note, words cannot really express the sense of pride; the enormous gratitude; and the satisfaction of accomplishments, we feel, as we embarked on this campaign. We have elevated the discourse as we hope to turn Nigeria to the path of greatness. We have forced other candidates to focus on issues of importance to the people. It has been a journey of love through the path of compassionate and dedicated people, ordinary folks here in Nigeria and in Diaspora who believed in me and with me that we cannot continue to sing the Lord’s song in a strange land. From the depth of my heart, I am very grateful to each of you. Thanks for standing up for Udi-Ezeagu and Nigeria, thanks for standing up for our people. It is, indeed, a good cause. May the Almighty continue to guard and guide us as we truck along the trajectory odyssey of life. The journey has just begun. Dee jee nu

Dr. Udeh, a candidate for Federal House of Representatives, Udi-Ezeagu Federal Constituency, a professor of Management with over 17 years of combined academic and government experience, writes from Egede, Udi LGA, Nigeria.

0 comments:

Post a Comment